PACFA is a national peak body for counsellors and psychotherapists and for professional associations in the counselling and psychotherapy field in Australia. Our mission is to represent the profession to communities and government, and to develop the evidence-base relating to the art and practice of counselling and psychotherapy.
PACFA promotes the development of the practice of counselling and psychotherapy, and respects and supports the diversity of approaches within the profession. PACFA provides a united forum for counsellors and psychotherapists, and for counselling and psychotherapy associations, to foster professional identity for practitioners, support research and training, and ensure public accountability to consumers, the public and government.
PACFA provides self-regulation functions for the counselling and psychotherapy profession. Members of PACFA Member Associations may be eligible for listing on PACFA’s National Register. PACFA Registrants have demonstrated an approved level of training, experience and competence and comply with PACFA’s ethical standards. The Register is accessible via the PACFA website to members of the public looking for a counsellor or psychotherapist and to other professionals wishing to make referrals.
- Support the individual and organisational members of PACFA and advance their interests
- Strengthen the capacity of PACFA as a peak body for the psychotherapy and counselling profession
- Regulate the profession and the practice of counselling and psychotherapy
- Promote the health and wellbeing of diverse groups in Australian communities
- Lobby government, private health funds and other key stakeholders, and campaign for recognition of counsellors and psychotherapists
- Undertake, support and disseminate counselling and psychotherapy research
- Develop the counselling and psychotherapy workforce to meet the needs of diverse communities
- Consult widely to ensure the views and needs of diverse practitioners and clients are addressed by PACFA’s policies, standards and activities
For further details see the PACFA Mission and Values page