What rebates does Bupa offer?
In 2018, PACFA negotiated recognition by Bupa, Australia’s largest Private Health Fund, for PACFA Members and Registrants to become Bupa providers.
Rebates for counselling services are available for all Bupa members who have the appropriate level of Extras cover. Counselling Rebates are a part of Extras products under the heading ‘Mental Health’.
Who is eligible to become a Bupa provider?
Only PACFA Clinical Registrants are eligible to be Bupa Providers, provided they meet the criteria below. Both Counsellors and psychotherapists who meet these criteria are eligible for a Provider Number.
Bupa Recognition Criteria for Counsellors and Psychotherapists:
Applicants must hold:
- an Australian Bachelor degree (AQF7), issued by a registered higher education provider, with 3 years full time (or part-time equivalent) training specifically in counselling or psychotherapy.
- OR an Australian Graduate Diploma or Masters (AQF8 or 9), issued by a registered higher education provider, with 2 years full time (or part-time equivalent) training specifically in counselling or psychotherapy.
- Training must include a minimum of 40 hours of supervised client contact.
If you do not meet the criteria above, but have completed a counselling or psychotherapy training program of a minimum of 3 years in length, over 15 years ago, and have been in practice for a minimum of 10 years, you may be eligible for the Bupa grandfathering program. Please contact [email protected] for further information.
If you completed your counselling and/or psychotherapy study overseas, please email [email protected]
What else will I need to apply?
For PACFA Registrants who meet the above criteria, to request a Bupa Provider Number you must also:
If you have any questions please view a list of frequently asked questions here. If you have any further questions about becoming a Bupa provider, please email our Membership Team ([email protected]) or call the PACFA Office on (03) 9486 3077.
- be in private practice;
- hold a current Senior/Provide First Aid certificate (HLTAID003/HLTAID011);
- hold Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance (minimum 20 million);
- maintain your Clinical PACFA registration.