Eligible practitioners may apply for listing on the PACFA National Register as a PACFA Accredited Supervisor. PACFA Accredited Supervisors are Clinical Registrants whose practice includes the provision of professional supervision to counsellors and/or psychotherapists.
You can search for a PACFA Accredited Supervisor using the Find A Therapist search function. For more information go to the Find a Therapist page.
The PACFA Register of Supervisors is intended to be a resource for psychotherapists and counsellors rather than being a mandatory procedure. PACFA Registrants are not required to undertake their supervision with a PACFA-accredited supervisor although they may choose to do so. This ensures practitioners have the flexibility to access supervision from a variety of sources both inside and outside PACFA.
The PACFA Supervision Training Standards set out in detail the requirements for the Supervisor training to be undertaken by Accredited Supervisors. For details please review the Supervision Training Standards 2012.
A policy document setting out the requirements to become a PACFA Accredited Supervisor outlines two pathways to Accreditation and the pre-requisites for applying to list as an Accredited Supervisor on the Register. A five-year transitional period will apply providing an alternative pathway to accreditation for experienced supervisors who don’t meet the specific requirements of the Supervision Training Standards.
Download the Register Requirements for Accreditated Supervisors 2016 from the Documents and Forms page.
Accredited Supervisor Pathway
- Supervisor training program which meets the Supervision Training Standards (at least 39 hours of person-to-person teaching in supervision theory and practice and a minimum of 10 hours of supervised practice in the role of supervisor during the training
- 50 hours of supervisor practice over a minimum of 2 years, post supervisor training
- 10 hours of supervision on supervision practice, post supervisor training
Transition Accreditation Pathway (only available until 2017)
- A minimum of 20 hours training or professional development in supervision
- 50 hours of supervisor practice over a minimum of 2 years
- 10 hours of supervision on supervision practice
To apply, you can download the Accredited Supervisor Application Form from the Documents and Forms page. For details of the application fee and annual renewal fee, see the Schedule of Fees.
Accredited Supervisors renew their Registration with PACFA annually at the same time that they renew their Clinical Register listing.
The renewal requirements are as follows:
- The renewal requirements for Accredited Supervisors are included within the renewal requirements for clinical registrants, with some variations as detailed below.
- Accredited Supervisors will need to demonstrate that they have completed 40 points of Professional Development within the previous 12 months. It is recommended that 10 points of the Professional Development relates specifically to supervision practice.
- Accredited Supervisors will need to demonstrate that they have undertaken 15 hours of formal supervision linked to practice in the previous 12 months. It is a recommended that 5 hours of the supervision time relates specifically to supervision practice.
For more information on registration renewal, go to the Renewal Requirements page.