The PACFA National Register is a register of appropriately qualified and experienced Counsellors and Psychotherapists. These practitioners have demonstrated that they:
- Meet high standards of professional training and ethical conduct
- Have sufficient experience to deliver quality counselling and psychotherapy services
- Undertake ongoing professional development and receive professional supervision of their work
- Belong to one of PACFA’s Member Associations
- Hold professional indemnity insurance
Practitioners listed on the PACFA National Register have undertaken training in diverse types of therapy and are trained to work with clients from diverse backgrounds and with a very wide range of issues. The PACFA National Register promotes the rich diversity which characterises the counselling and psychotherapy field, while at the same time setting standards which ensure that only suitably qualified and experienced practitioners are included.
To find a registered counsellor or psychotherapist on the PACFA National Register, go to the Find a Therapist page.
How to join the PACFA Register
To be listed on the PACFA National Register, practitioners must meet the requirements for either Intern, Provisional or Clinical listing. There are also specific requirements for practitioners who are listed as Mental Health Practitioners or Accredited Supervisors.
There are two options for achieving PACFA registration:
- Join PACFA as an individual – your registration is automatically included CLICK HERE for details
- Join a PACFA Member Association – then apply to list on the PACFA Register CLICK HERE for details
All PACFA Registrants have undergone a rigorous application process in which their training, qualifications and supervised experience have been verified as meeting PACFA’s standards, and have to meet PACFA’s annual registration renewal requirements. This focus on standards and verification of qualifications distinguishes the practitioner’s services. Generally, directories have not undertaken a rigorous process of verifying qualifications and claims about practice and competence, and do not serve a regulatory function such as providing a mechanism for investigating complaints.
PACFA Registrants are automatically listed on the Australian Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists ARCAP. This is the single Register and Credentialling system for the counselling and psychotherapy profession in Australia, developed by PACFA in partnership with the Australian Counselling Association (ACA). To find out more about ARCAP, go to the ARCAP page.